A lot to be thankful for

Happy Thanksgiving everyone; Bonne Action de Grâce. 

I've been thinking that while we don't give this holiday as much importance as many others, it is quietly becoming one of my favourites. In Canada it has, thankfully, not become super-commercial the way it is in the United States, and I sure like the idea of a holiday centred around gratitude for what we have. A long weekend in order to spend time with family over a meal full of autumn's bounty? What better reason to celebrate? And to be thankful.

And right now, as I watch leader after leader come to power based on divisive, anti-immigrant, anti-minority platforms that reinforce us-versus-them sentiment, mistrust, fear and even outright hatred of the "other," I feel extra grateful to be surrounded by my (multi-ethnic and multi-religious) family, including my parents who raised me to be inclusive rather than exclusive, generous rather than selfish, fair-minded rather than judgemental, kind rather than cruel; my children whom I hope I am raising with the same values, along with my partner (he's my rock and I'll get to him later); and my like-minded brother, thoughtful sister-in-law and adorable nephew.

As I scanned my Facebook timeline first thing this morning (why oh why do I do that?) I was saddened, angered and sickened by two articles I came across, one pointing out how the Trump administration and its supporters rejoice in the suffering of others and another about the anti-immigrant policies of the newly elected Quebec government, François Legault's Coalition Avenir Québec. So then I reminded myself that while the articles I read may have been about a dark side of humanity that I deplore, they were written and shared by people who not only deplore it too, but are speaking out against it. So I am thankful for those people. One article I read was about yesterday's anti-racism demonstration in Montreal, which drew 3,000 people. I am thankful for each and every one who was there, reminding me that for every fear-mongering racist there is at least one kind-hearted humanitarian. (I was, sadly, not at the march. I work on Sundays – even Thanksgiving Sunday.)

Speaking of work, I am thankful every day for the work that I do. First, I am lucky just to have work, and thus food on my family's table and a roof over our heads. But also I am so very lucky to have work that I love. To get to dance and to teach every day, surrounded by beautiful music and the warm embraces of so many friendly people, is truly a blessing.

Not to mention that all of this – family, work, dance, teaching – I get to share with a loving partner who is, as I said, my rock: He is there for me, always and in so many ways. In the day-to-day grind, through life's many ups and downs, it's easy to forget to appreciate our partners. So today is a good time to remember.

There is even more than all of this to be thankful for: my health, my friends, my animals (and all animals), books, sunshine, autumn leaves, spring flowers, running water, and the list goes on.

So I guess I'm thankful for Thanksgiving, too, this day that makes me take a pause to reflect on what I am grateful for.

Thank you, merci and gracias to everyone who brings good things, big and small, to my life.

Comments

  1. Thank you, Andrea ! Happy Happy Thanksgiving to you and you family !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for such beautiful and sincere words! Happy Thanksgiving to you and Wolf! Abrazos,

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Me too, her too, all of us too

Fifty full years. What's next?